April 2019, The Mall
21 July 2018, The Market Square as part of the Streams of Bunclody Festival
Town Motif Workshop
11 June, Our Lady of Lourdes National School, 60 students participated.
Bunclody – on the Wexford-Carlow border – was developed as an estate town for the nearby Newtownbarry estate in the early eighteenth century. In fact, the town was called Newtownbarry until 1952 when it was re-named Bunclody following a ballot of local ratepayers by Wexford County Council. Today, the most striking feature of the town’s layout is the canal that flows down the centre of the main street. It was built in the nineteenth century to carry water from the River Clody to provide a drinking water supply for the town. The River Clody and the River Slaney meet just north of the town centre, and the Slaney
provided an important trade route to Wexford harbour. Stone and slate quarries were important sources of local employment until imported slate from Wales, brought upriver from Wexford, took its toll on the local trade. Construction-related industries continued to be an important feature of the local economy into the twenty-first century and the town was particularly badly hit by the effects of the 2008 crash and subsequent recession. Based on census data, Bunclody is one of the most ethnically diverse towns in Ireland – with large Polish and Irish Traveller communities.