Passage East

Waterford

1/1

Caption

View On Map

Town Portrait

2-4pm Sunday 19th May 2019 Registration in the Community Centre

Town Visit

29th April 2018 in the Passage East Community Centre

Town Motif

19 April 2018, Passage East National School, 69 students participated.

One of a pair with Ballyhack, Passage East is on the Waterford side of the Wexford-Waterford ferry crossing, where the River Barrow enters Waterford harbour. With the nearest bridge crossing the Barrow at New Ross, some 20 kilometres to the north, it’s a busy ferry route in particular for those residents of south Wexford who commute to work in Waterford city. The ferry service opened in the 1980s, prior to that there was no road connection between the two counties and the two have in some ways had very separate histories, although of course residents of both villages would have crossed over and back by boat on a regular basis. Near the town,

the former Geneva Barracks – notorious in story and song as a holding place for captured 1798 rebels – was originally built as a colony for Swiss protestants fleeing French-Catholic held Switzerland. It was hoped that they would help establish a silk industry here. A detailed plan was prepared by James Gandon, architect of Dublin’s Custom House, in 1782 but negotiations for the colony, which was to be known as New Geneva, fell through before it was fully built or occupied. It was taken over by the government some years later and developed as a military barracks. Passage East, like Ballyhack, is traditionally a fishing village and fishing is still an important part of the local economy today.