1pm Wednesday 5th June 2019 Parade from St Fintan’s to Market Square
Taghmon Town Portrait was inspired by stories of the travelling circuses who visited Taghmon, bringing the elephants to the fountain in Market Square to drink. Michelle Browne led a parade through a similar route, from St. Fintan’s school to Market Square. Pupils from the St Fintan’s marched in costumes created with artist Jeni Roddy while the Taghmon Men’s Shed built wooden elephant structures and carried them through the streets for the parade.
18 July 2018 at the Water Fountain in Market Square with the active workshop in the Handball Alley.
18 May Saint Fintan’s National School 2018, 102 students participated.
Taghmon traces its origins back to a monastery, established by St. Munna in the 7th century. It is thought that the present-day St. Munna’s church stands on the same site. The town later became a thriving Anglo-Norman settlement and a fifteenth-century Norman tower house, known locally as ‘The Castle’ is a prominent built feature in the town. There are several fine Georgian townhouses in Taghmon dating to an era, in the eighteenth century, when Taghmon was a prosperous town heavily dependent on trade along the New Ross to Wexford road. The Topgraphical Dictionary of Ireland (1837) notes that
Taghmon was at that time famous for its fairs, of which no less than twenty-three were held each year, and that a market specifically for the sale of salt butter only was held twice a week in the town during the butter-making season. Local flax and wool industries are also recorded. The re-routing of the main road to bypass Taghmon in the late-nineteenth century saw the start of an economic decline for the town, which has continued into the twentieth century. Today the Irish Pride bakery is a major local employer and a large number of residents commute to nearby Wexford for work.