3.30pm Monday 3rd June 2019 Clancy’s courtyard
2 June 2018 in the meeting room at the Leonard Fraser Park in Tallow.
10 May 2018, Scoil Mhuire, 59 students participated.
Renowned for its annual Horse Fair, which has been taking place every September since 1910, Tallow is Waterford’s most westerly town. The Glenaboy River meets the River Bride at Tallowbridge, just north of the town, and the Bride, in turn, flows into the Blackwater south of Villierstown. The Irish name Tulach an Iarainn (Hill/Mound of the Iron) points to a long history of iron-smelting in the locality. Iron fabrication on an industrial scale was established here in 1608 and continued to be an important local industry into the twentieth century. Tallow is a formally-planned market town, laid out in the early seventeenth century as an English plantation – after the existing medieval town was
destroyed by fire – and it still has the cross-shaped plan and wide main street of the seventeenth-century design. As well as iron, flour, lace, ale and porter were all produced locally, contributing to an industrial boom-period in the late-eighteenth and nineteenth centuries – and much of the town’s surviving architectural and industrial heritage dates to this era. Tallow was a station on the Waterford-Mallow railway line, closed in 1967. The section of railway between Dungarvan and Mallow was dismantled, but the former railway station survives as a private residence. In 2001, the Cadena Cigar factory in Tallow closed, with the loss of 68 jobs, dealing a significant blow to the local economy.